A catcher’s position is one of the most dangerous positions when playing baseball. Although a pitcher’s risk of a rotator cuff injury is significantly higher, a catcher is in charge of stopping balls reaching speeds up to 100mph. This feat is life-threatening without proper protective equipment; therefore, we have collected the best chest protector for baseball in this article.
Here is the Quick List
Table Of Content
The Importance of a Chest Protector for Baseball
A lot can happen when stopping a fastball that reaches unforgiving speeds of 90 up to100 mph. In addition, a fastball can sometimes feature a knuckleball effect wherein the movement of the ball becomes unpredictable. As a result, this makes a catcher’s job more dangerous. Hence, a catcher must wear a chest protector for baseball as it protects various vital parts of the body such as the chest, back, neck, and shoulders.
Additionally, direct hits to the chest are fatal for a catcher or even an umpire if a fastball misses its target. Therefore, chest protectors feature added cushions to suppress the incredible amount of impact force a fastball transfers to the body. To ensure the safety of its players, all baseball leagues require catchers to wear a chest protector when playing a baseball game.
What to Look for When Buying a Chest Protector for Baseball
Chest protector shirts are pieces of vital equipment for catchers. When taking up their position in the diamond, it provides catchers with protection on crucial body parts such as the chest and shoulders. Therefore, a catcher’s safety depends on the quality of their chest protector for baseball.
A chest protector should provide a perfect fit in accordance with its user’s body size. In addition, buyers should also consider if the chest protector has enough protection when performing different stances like kneeling and squats. Furthermore, it should be lightweight enough to give mobility but features enough padding to withstand enormous forces coming from a baseball pitch. Also, it is important to consider a chest protector’s material. Since its inception in 1883, chest protector for baseball has undergone different materials such as breathable cloth, ballistic fabrics, and polyfoam material. However, it is essential to find the best material that offers the best protection and lightest weight.
The Best Chest Protector for Baseball from Amazon
EASTON GAMETIME Baseball Catchers Chest Protector, 2021
The whole baseball community knows that the Easton brand offers professional-level quality to all types of players regardless of skill level, even for those who want to become a baseball player in college. If you’re one of them, then the Easton GAMETIME is an excellent choice if you are looking for a chest protector for baseball that also improves your overall game performance.
Featuring Easton’s integrated impact-absorbing foam, the Easton GAMETIME cushions the ball impact, making blocked balls close for a faster rebound time. In addition, the Easton GAMETIME incorporates a chest protector construction with easily adjustable straps. In addition, backed with the NOCSAE ND200 SEI Certification, the GAMETIME can prevent the occurrence of Commotio Cordis among players.
- Impact-absorbing foam.
- Four-point webbing strap system.
- Swivel waist clip.
- SEI Certification for NOCSAE Commotio Cordis standard.
- Features an adjustable shoulder cap for more shoulder protection angle.
Size and Weight: The Easton GAMETIME comes in 3 sizes: youth, intermediate, and adult (15″, 16″, and 17″ respectively) while weighing at 18.5oz.
Material: The Easton GAMETIME features integrated impact-absorbing memory foam for increased rebound control upon ball contact.
Padding Protection: The Easton GAMETIME features padding protection on the shoulders, chest, back, and abdominal area; however, it lacks a groin guard feature.
Price: £89 / $126
- Features and impact-absorbing memory foam for an increased rebound performance.
- The chest protector is certified in preventing the occurrence of Commotio Cordis.
- Incorporates a highly adjustable strap system.
- The shoulder cap is removable and adjustable.
- This particular Easton GAMETIME model is for youth players only..
adidas Performance PRO Series Baseball Chest Protector
The Adidas Performance PRO Series Baseball Chest Protector is an excellent choice for players looking for a comfortable chest protector for baseball that provides the utmost comfort in any situation. Firstly, the Adidas Performance Pro Series incorporates Adidas’ innovative climalite design. In addition, the Adidas Performance Pro Series Baseball Chest Protector fabric features a cool-to-the-touch synthetic material underlay. As a result, this material provides its users with a cool and dry feel even in the most demanding games.
Secondly, the Adidas Performance PRO Series Baseball Chest Protector features cardiac and sternum inserts for increased protection on the upper torso. Furthermore, the Adidas Baseball Chest Protector also provides a cushion on the shoulders and abdomen area for improved overall protection.
- Features Adidas’ innovative climalite technology.
- Features a multi-layered lightweight memory foam for impact absorption.
- Cardiac and sternum inserts for improved chest protection.
- Protects both shoulders and abdomen for overall support and protection.
- It comes in power red, black, maroon, dark green, and collegiate royal blue colorway.
Size and Weight: The Adidas Performance PRO Series Baseball Chest Protector comes in 16″ and 17″ and weighs 27oz.
Material: The Adidas Performance PRO Series Baseball Chest Protector consists of 70% cotton and 30% polyester fleece while featuring sweat-wicking climalite technology.
Padding Protection: The Adidas Performance PRO Series Baseball Chest Protector features a body contour memory foam padding system that protects the shoulders, chest, and abdomen.
Price: £82 – £157 / $116 – $222 depending on size and colorway.
- Features a sweat-wicking climalite technology.
- Protects both shoulders from ball impact.
- Comes in five different colorways.
- Includes a shock-absorbing body contour memory foam design.
- No direct claims on preventing Commotio Cordis.
Wilson Pro Stock Chest Protector
The Wilson Pro Stock Chest Protector ensures that the demanding requirement of catchers for safety and comfort are met. Designed to have unparalleled durability on the plate, the Wilson Pro Stock Chest Protector is the best choice for professionals like A.J. Ellis and the whole Major League Baseball.
The Wilson Pro Stock provides players with a chest protector for baseball that keeps the ball in front of the player to keep even the most crucial rebounds manageable. In addition, the Wilson Pro Stock’s pads feature an angled design that helps dissipate the ball’s force. For an added overall protection, the Wilson Pro Stock also features protective paddings on the throat, collarbone, and sternum.
- Features a memory foam padding that reduces ball rebound upon impact.
- Incorporates an angled pad design that makes the ball drop in front of its user.
- Additional throat, collarbone, and sternum guard.
- Removable shoulder caps.
- Gunmetal finish on all metal hardware.
- Consists of perforated foam for overall improved fabric breathability.
Size and Weight: The Wilson Pro Stock Chest Protector comes in small (14.5″), medium (15.5″), and large (16.5″) while weighing 16oz.
Material: The Wilson Pro Stock Chest Protector features high-quality memory foam on its padding and PE plates for the throat, sternum, and collarbone guard.
Padding Protection: The Wilson Pro Stock protects the chest, shoulders, sternum, collarbones, and throat.
Price: £117 – £146 / $165 – $206 depending on size.
- Dissipates the ball’s force upon impact.
- Provides users with a more effortless rebound.
- Features removable shoulder pads.
- Provides additional protection to the throat, collarbone, and sternum.
- Official Chest Protector of the MLB.
- It does not claim it can stop the occurrence of commotio cordis.
Mizuno Pro Chest Protector
The Mizuno Pro Chest Protector is an excellent choice for adult players that require a seamless chest protector that molds itself with its user’s body. Furthermore, the Mizuno Pro Chest Protector offers protection on key areas such as the chest and shoulders, enabling its user to unleash the best performance behind the dish.
In addition, the Mizuno Pro Chest Protector features a low rebound foam that dissipates the ball’s force upon contact, stopping the ball in front of its user. Additionally, the Mizuno Pro Chest Protector features a four-way stretchable strap that adjusts depending on its user’s movement to ensure a perfect fit. The Mizuno Pro Chest Protector also includes the patented detachable wings design that protects the side of the torso from wild balls, providing improved safety and convenience to its user.
- Four-way stretchable strap system.
- Features a low rebound foam padding.
- Patented detachable wings and shoulder pads.
- Features strategic flex points that provide a perfect fit to its user’s body.
Size and Weight: The Mizuno Pro Chest Protector comes in 17” and weighs 25oz.
Material: The Mizuno Pro Chest Protector features a low rebound foam padding that dissipates force effectively upon ball contact.
Padding Protection: The padding protection of the Mizuno Pro provides chest, collarbone, shoulders, and side torso protection.
Price: £199 – $281
- The low rebound foam padding makes the ball stop in front of the wearer.
- The Mizuno Pro Chest Protector adjusts accordingly to its user’s movements.
- The patented removable wings provide the Mizuno with exceptional versatility.
- The adjustment system of this chest protector fits most adult body types.
- This offering only comes in one size.
- The product lacks a throat guard.
Rawlings Pro Preferred Series Chest Protector
The Rawlings Pro Preferred Series Chest Protector is an excellent choice for young and adult players looking to incorporate professional-level specifications in their game. Firstly, the Rawlings Pro Preferred Series Chest Protector adjusts itself accordingly through a dynamic fit system that enabling a custom fit in any body type. Secondly, to ensure a comfortable game, the Rawlings Pro Preferred Series features a TRI Tech padding that enables cool air to come in while releasing warm air.
Lastly, the Rawlings Pro Preferred Series ensures an increased ball control through its ab wedges feature that remains flat to reduce ball rebound after contact. Furthermore, Rawlings incorporated a shoulder padding design that is more robust to increase protection without compromising weight and mobility.
- Dynamic fit system.
- TRI Tech Padding.
- Features Ab Wedges that increase ball control upon impact.
- Thick removable shoulder paddings.
- Adjustable back harness.
- Comes in a matte cardinal or matte scarlet colorway.
Size and Weight: The Rawlings Pro Preferred Series Chest Protector comes in sizes 15.5” and 17” while weighing 32oz.
Material: The Rawlings Pro Preferred Series Chest Protector consists of breathable Tri-Tech padding that cushions a baseball’s force upon contact.
Padding Protection: The Rawlings Pro Preferred Series Chest Protector features a chest, throat, collarbones, and removable shoulder paddings for the ultimate protection for catchers.
Price: £80 / $113 (15.5” variant) and £100.52 / $142 (17” variant).
- Adjusts accordingly on its user’s body.
- Provides a cool experience through the TRI Tech padding.
- Cushions ball force to reduce ball rebound.
- Provides a perfect fit.
- The overall size of the Rawlings Pro Preferred Series is larger than normal.
Easton Pro-X Catcher’s Chest Protector
If you are looking for a chest protector for baseball that provides excellent rebound control and protection, the Easton Pro-X Catcher’s Chest Protector is the one for you! The enhanced rebound control and protection of the Easton Pro-X come from its mixed evair and memory foam layer. In addition, the silicone grip on the ABS of the Easton Pro-X reduces the ball’s spin upon contact, providing its user with improved ball control. Also, the Easton Pro-X features an adjustable shoulder cap for increased protection when catching fastballs.
The strap system of the Easton Pro-X features an innovative 4-point webbing strap that enables its user to have the perfect pit. Moreover, the 4-point webbing strap of the Easton Pro-X features a neoprene back organizer and heavy-duty steel inset waist clips for a secure and tighter fit during demanding games.
- Double layer chest design.
- Memory foam on top.
- Evair foam on the bottom.
- Silicone grip ABS.
- 4-point webbing strap and heavy-duty steel inset waist clips.
- Neoprene back organizer.
Size and Weight: The Easton Pro-X Catcher’s Chest Protector comes in intermediate (16”) and adult (17”) size while weighing 24oz.
Material: The padding material of the Easton Pro-X Catcher’s Chest Protector is a mix of evair and memory foam for excellent control and cushion.
Padding Protection: The padding protection of the Easton Pro-X Catcher’s Chest Protector includes the chest, collarbones, throat, and one shoulder.
Price: Starts from £195 / $276 up to £313 / $442 depending on size and colorway.
- Provides a double-layer chest design.
- Provides a secure and snug fit.
- The Silicone grip on the product reduces ball rebound.
- Increases overall ball control.
- Versatile strap system.
- Features only one removable shoulder padding.
- Comparatively expensive compared to other offerings on this list.
Allstar S7 Axis Chest Protector
The Allstar S7 Axis Chest Protector is an excellent choice for young players that requires unparalleled protection. Firstly, the SEI-certified Allstar S7 Axis Chest Protector meets the NOCSAE Standard for protection against commotio cordis. Secondly, the Allstar S7 Axis is highly customizable with its moldable PE plates incorporated on its shoulder and throat padding. Lastly, the Allstar S7 Axis Chest Protector features a diamond vented back. This feature provides breathability and weight reduction for a more comfortable experience when playing.
- Highly customizable PE plates.
- Patent-pending chest panel.
- Features a throat and removable shoulder padding.
- Diamond vented back.
- Meets the NOCSAE Standard.
Size and Weight: The Allstar S7 Axis Chest Protector comes in one size of 15.5” and weighs 15oz.
Material: The padding material of the Allstar S7 Axis Chest Protector features a moldable PE design that offers customizability.
Padding Protection: The padding protection of the Allstar A7 Axis Chest Protector covers the chest, collarbones, throat, and one shoulder from direct ball impact.
Price: £316 / $445
- Highly customizable PE paddings.
- Includes a throat guard.
- Certified to help prevent the occurrence of commotio cordis.
- Breathable back design.
- Only includes one shoulder guard.
- Expensive compared to the Easton GAMETIME.
Mizuno Samurai Adult Baseball Chest Protector
The Mizuno Samurai Baseball Chest Protector is perfect for adults looking for a chest protector for baseball that increases their ball control. Firstly, the Mizuno Samurai reduces the ball’s rebound upon contact through the use of a high-quality low rebound foam. Secondly, the surface of the Mizuno Samurai Chest Protector features a specially designed surface grip that increases ball control. This feature further reduce the ball’s rebound, providing its user with an improved performance. Lastly, Mizuno has designed the Samurai Chest Protector with detachable shoulder plates to fit its user’s preference.
Also, the Mizuno Samurai Baseball Chest Protector includes a customizable nameplate located on the straps. Additionally, Mizuno is a brand that produces great baseball gear like the Mizuno B-20 Maxcor Carbon Youth Baseball Bat. Therefore, Mizuno baseball gears will surely not disappoint you! Make the Mizuno Samurai Adult Baseball Chest protector yours today!
- Incorporates low rebound foam construction.
- Grippy surface.
- Detachable shoulder plates.
- Personalized nameplate on the strap.
- Meets the NOCSAE Certification.
Size and Weight: The Mizuno Samurai Adult Baseball Chest Protector comes in one size of 15” and weighs 16oz.
Material: The material of the Mizuno Samurai’s padding features a low rebound foam for increased ball control upon contact.
Padding Protection: The protection the Mizuno Samurai offers covers the chest, shoulders, and abdomen area excellently.
Price: £150 / $212
- The Mizuno Samurai lessens a ball’s rebound.
- Improve a player’s overall control of the ball.
- Enables the ball to land in front of the player after contact.
- Features two shoulder paddings.
- Can help prevent the occurrence of commotio cordis.
- Lacks a throat guard for its price.
Frequently Asked Questions about Chest Protectors
Q: Do baseball chest protectors work?
A: A chest protector for baseball is effective in terms of lessening or even preventing injuries received from ball contact. However, if you are trying to eliminate the risk of commotio cordis, it is imperative to look if the chest protector you’re buying meets the NOCSAE standard.
Q: How do you measure a baseball chest protector?
A: To find the perfect fit when buying baseball chest protectors, it is advised to first measure your size. So, your size is indicated by the measurement from your upper waist up until the base of your neck in inches. For instance, you have a measurement of 17”, then you should look for a 17” chest protector for baseball.
Q: What is a chest protector called?
A: The protective garment that baseball catchers wear during games is called a chest protector. Furthermore, its purpose is to protect and lessen the damage caused by a direct impact with a baseball. In addition, it also helps catchers when controlling the ball as they can utilize their chest protectors to help stop the ball.
Q: What are chest protectors made of?
A: Since its inception in 1883, chest protector for baseball has undergone different materials such as breathable cloth, ballistic fabrics, and polyfoam material.
Q: Are chest protectors necessary?
A: Chest protectors are required when you are playing as a catcher during baseball games. However, there is another set of youth baseball chest protector shirts in the market. These are padded compression shirts worn usually in little league games to prevent severe injuries from a direct ball contact to the chest.